The Lesser-Known Classic LC Dutch Oven Braised Long Ribs

 If you think of a dutch oven, a Le Creuset dutch oven, you think of braised short ribs.  Classic.  Fall-apart meat in a rustic, savory sauce.  So, of course, I had to try it.

Hubby went to the market to buy some beef ribs.  He missed the "short" part.  


Or he thought we had a meat-cutting saw at home.


You see, beef ribs aren't short by nature...they must be cut.  My shopper didn't think this through too well.  I could cut them apart length-wise, but, that was the extent of my abilities.




And a full-sized beef rib, or three, doesn't quite fit in the dutch oven.

So, one was all I could make, in the dutch oven.

Two days later, I tried it again, but cooked them in my slow-cooker using the left-over sauce from the previous cook, and adding a bit more broth and wine.  So, the images here are a mix of both preparations. 


And I altered this recipe just a bit.  

A sear on all sides in bacon fat, (well, three out of four really, since it truly couldn't lie flat enough), cuz, why not?  Removed from pan.



Sautéed some rough cut onion in butter and olive oil.

Then added cut carrots and celery to that and cooked up a bit.  

To that mix, I added a little tomato paste and flour and stirred well...so as not to clump.

Next in was some beef broth (I made some from these bouillon crystals so I didn't have to open a fell new box of broth)...



...and red wine.  Now, full disclosure.  I did not use the fancy, albeit, cheap bottle of red in my earlier mise-en-place photo.  


No, I used my go to box o' wine.


Then, add the rib(s) back in.


Once all that yummy goodness is in the pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until wine is reduced by half...then toss into the oven at 350˚ for about 2 and a half hours.





This is usually served with mashed potatoes, but,  yeah, didn't happen.

All in all, even though the ribs weren't the size they were intended to be, the meat was extremely tender and flavorful, the sauce was amazing, and I will attempt this again, with SHORT ribs.




Comments

Popular Posts