Chicken Enchiladas

 I have been wanting to attempt chicken enchiladas again...it's been a while.  But hubby kept asking for them.  Now, I kind of thought this together last minute mid-pandemic/horrific Texas winter-weather event...but had pretty much everything I needed.  I would have liked to add some Spanish rice or refried beans.  Next time.

I am not sure what I used to do to cook my chicken before I got the Instant Pot, but this lovely device made it SO easy to get the chicken braised and tender enough to shred.


I put in the chicken breasts without cutting them up, even left some fat on.  A few slices (smoked paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes), and a bit of vegetable broth with some fresh bell peppers.



Instant Pot time was 10 minutes on pressure and a 10 minute natural release.



While that cooked, I sautéed some onions in a little olive oil.


Once the chicken was done, I shredded each breast, easily.

Added to the chicken...a couple cans of diced Hatch Chili Peppers...


You have to use Hatch.  We visited Hatch, New Mexico, during our 7-year full-time RV traveling.
You can smell the chili peppers as you drive into the area.



Added in some chili powder, more salt and pepper, and the onions
Also, a can of green enchilada sauce.

And had some black beans already open from fish taco night...so threw those there as well.

mix mix mix


I always use flour tortillas when I make enchiladas.  I know, people will say you need to use corn.  But, I don't think I cook them properly, or, we just don't like them as much. So, we stick with flour.  And the flour tortillas I had in the freezer were the large kind, not the smaller kind I usually use.  But, I found preferred this so will always use large from now on.


I spread a little of the green enchilada sauce on the bottom.
Rolled each enchilada with...
salsa 
chicken mix,
shredded taco cheese


Here's what I made...and I still have half a bowl of the chicken mix left.


Then, over all the finished rolls, another whole can of the sauce. Making sure to cover every part of the tortillas. (Sorry, spaced on getting a picture of that.)  And finally, a good layer of the taco cheese.

Baked for about 25 minutes.  Everything is cooked.  You just want the cheese two melt, and all the components to be hot.


A little salsa, sour cream, fresh chives, and some tortilla chips complete the dish.

Easy as can be, a BIG hit, and great for leftovers.

 



Comments

Popular Posts