Turkey Soup

 My Le Creuset Dutch Oven played a dual roll in yesterday's kitchen activity.  

After she had helped slowly cook up the creamy risotto, she housed my newly created turkey stock, and fresh veggies, to produce another turkey soup.   

Steve said it was delicious, so, glad I fit it into the day.  





I start with a large pot of water and salt.  Add in the turkey carcass; all of it.  Also whatever veggies I had stuffed into the cavity, and any and all drippings that had collected. Throw in a little dried rosemary, sage, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for an hour or longer.  Tasting occasionally to see if the flavor needs anything.  Usually I add more salt and pepper.

Once the broth seems to be flavorful enough, I pull the carcass out onto a sheet pan, which takes a few turns as it has quite fallen apart.  Then, pour the broth through a strainer into the LC (or any large pot) to catch any turkey parts and bones not wanted in the soup.

At this point, once it cools, I begin to pull off the good turkey meat still attached to the bird.  There's usually a good amount, and put it into the LC.  Add in some fresh carrots, potatoes, corn, green beans, celery...whatever you like.  Let that cook an hour or so, until your veggies are the way you like them.  

I like to add Ditalini pasta to my soups, so, I cook up a half a box, let it cool (important), then add the cooled noodles to the soup, and stir.  Serve.





Comments

Popular Posts