Campfire Cooking in the Home Oven

     For breakfast this morning I thought I'd make a brunch type of meal.  

The hub didn't get home from work until almost 8am, then would sleep for a while, so a later breakfast was in order.


Searching on Google for dutch oven brunch, I came across this recipe...Dutch Oven Ham and Cheese Potatoes.  

It was meant for a campfire cook but I would place it in the oven.

I love when I have every ingredient and don't have to run to the supermarket...but, soon enough I will.


This recipe called for ham.  Back before Thanksgiving, our local market, HEB, had a buy-a-spiral-ham-get-a-free-12lb-turkey.  So, I did.  I love having the spiral hams.  Smell so autumn-y.  

 I usually cook it up (heat up really, since they are already cooked), just to have that smell.  We eat some, (5 of us in this house) and I cut it up and freeze the rest into smaller containers.  That way, I can just pull out a batch to have with breakfast, or make a casserole, etc.  If you save the hambone, when you get around to it, make pea soup.  Throw some of that ham in.  I made a batch and froze half, so, have that as well.


Anyway, back to the potato cheese ham bake.

Started with my mise en place.


I like to have a bowl nearby for the waste cuttings.  Makes it easier.  
Purposeful actions limited to what is needed, so you can focus and not chop off any fingers.



Taters cut evenly so they cook consistently.  White onions, green onions, peppers, ham, taco cheese, and a can of Campbell's Condensed Cream of Mushroom soup.
Mix.


I baked for about 1 hour 30 minutes, taking the cover off for the last 10 to crisp up some potatoes.  
Added two fried eggs and some Cholula.


Flavorful.  The onions were a little crunchy, which surprised me, so maybe sauté them first. I'd maybe add some hot sausage as well next time (chouriço - Portuguese sausage- would be best, but they don't sell that in Texas) for a little punch.  Or, and you should always have these in the pantry...a can of diced Hatch chili peppers!

Enjoy.











Comments

Popular Posts