Arancini

 

January 2...Day Two

Last Christmas, my oldest son gifted me the Magnolia Cookbook. This year, I received Volume II.  Lacking in groceries in the fridge and pantry, I strived to come up with a plan for today's cooking.  And, not wanting to go anywhere near the supermarket, I cautiously opened Volume II.


And came upon Arancini, with a nice surprise of actually having every ingredient needed.


I've been wanting to make Risotto; now was my chance.


And, luckily, it calls for a Dutch Oven.  


Always start with your Mise en Place. Everything in its place.



The LC comes out of her home to help make the risotto.


sauté the onions and garlic


add the rice, and toast


add 32oz of chicken broth, 1 cup at a time, letting the rice absorb before adding another cup
 keep stirring


once all the broth is absorbed, add the grated parmesan, butter, lemon rind and lemon juice,
 and heavy cream


stir until combined


spread and let cool, then refrigerate for one hour


roll into balls, freeze for 10 minutes, then
dip in flour, egg, and panko...refrigerate while oil heats up


4-6 minutes in the oil


plate and enjoy



it was a hit



I'd make the risotto again, and will, working to perfect it, and adding other savory ingredients.  But, as much as the Arancini was a hit, it took a while.  
The risotto takes long enough to make, and requires your complete attention.  The continued steps to create the actual fried balls caused me to nap just after.  Long time in the kitchen today.  But, worthwhile.  
You can always make the risotto balls and freeze them for another time, and have a hearty snack.
































Comments

Popular Posts